Friday, October 03, 2008

FALL IS IN THE AIR!



For the past few days it has been so beautiful here in Maryland. The temperatures have been in the high 60's and falling into the 50's at night. It's been so wonderful sleeping......having the window's up a couple of inches. Even those "night sweats" haven't been so bad. So that's a plus in itself.

I know I've said this many times but Fall is one of my favorite times of the year. I love all that it brings. But mostly I love how the leaves change their color. I think the maple tree leaves are the most vibrant of colors. The grass has even greened up again and before long the first frost will come. The days become shorter and the evenings longer. And before long, it will be dark around 5:30 p.m. Even that doesn't bother me too badly.

And then, there are those gorgeous Chrysanthemums in every color you can think of. It seems like everyone is selling them. Our local grocery store had such full, large pots of them just today. I picked the crimson colored ones. How pretty they are and they smell so earthy. No other flower smells the way they do. I wouldn't call it a sweet smell. But it's a wonderful smell. And I know that I have to have a few pots of them sitting around......out on my balcony, enjoying their beauty and breathing in their smell as I open the door.

Even though this time of the year holds some sadness for me, the beauty of the season overrides this sadness. You see, my mom passed away on November 19, 1979. So of course I think of her at this time even more.......and wish that she were here to see her grandchildren and great grandchildren. She would be so in love....just like I am. On December 2, 1965, my dad died after a battle with brain cancer. He was so young to have left our family so soon. He would have so enjoyed his grandchildren as he loved to play tricks and tease the young ones. My sister's tell of him tying knots in the sheets on their bed when they hadn't taken time to make it up. He was a great dad and loved his little girl who he called "pumpkin".



Tomorrow is supposed to be a lovely day. A little chill in the air and two little girl's who are looking forward to a special day with grand mom. Hailee, Gianna and I are going to spend the day together. We are going to Applewood Farms where we will visit with the animals, taste some apple cider, ride the train, bring some apples home to eat and pick out pumpkins for them to take home. Maybe we'll even get to make a scarecrow. I'm sure that no matter what we do will be have a great time. The girl's are really looking forward to spending the day together and then tomorrow night they will spend the night with me! Oh boy! Eating sorbet in bed is their favorite thing to do. I can't wait!!!!!!



We're gonna hop on this train and find out if ghosts or goblins are lurking near the tracks!



We won't see reindeer tomorrow.....but we'll come back in December after they've helped Santa deliver all of his gift's to all the good little girl's and boy's all over the world!



If you are experiencing beautiful Fall weather where you are, I hope that you are all able to get out and enjoy your day. Have a wonderful weekend and remember, "love the ones you're with".

8 comments:

Rudee said...

What a great picture of Gianna! Sandy rocks! I love this weather too BJ-I've not had a hot flash in weeks. I did turn on the heat for poor Rachel this week. She was freezing and not feeling well. It's also nice to comfortably wear wool again. I was thinking of going to the cider mill tomorrow too. I love the greasy donuts and apples galore. I was thinking homemade applesauce would be heavenly right now.

Enjoy your date with your babes.

Brenda said...

All of your pictures are really great BJ! I am so looking forward to our annual fall drive also. It sounds like after this weekend with the grand kids you will have lots more pictures to show off. Everything you are doing sounds like fun!

cat's momma said...

I'm sure you'll be having much fun with the kids. I love the pictures and I love Fall! We had our first rain this morning and the air has smelled so fresh all day. For me, Fall is a time for renewal and spending some alone time, relaxing and getting cozy when there is a chill in the air. Cooler air just seems to make it more possible for me to relax...especially with the days getting shorter.

The Crusty Crone said...

oh my...It sounds like you and the girls are going to have one terrific day. What fun.

I love the fall colors and coolness, too. The yellow and red leaves always make me think of van Gogh.

Wanda said...

Oh BJ what lovely, lovely pictures. I so love fall too... the decorations, the pumpkins, the nut breads and pies, what a great time of year it must be in Maryland. Wow!

BJ I'm so sorry I haven't been commenting very good lately...been on a blog bummer without my camera.

Should have it back this week.

LOL:Wanda

Sandy said...

OH I enjoyed the photos and your post today. I hope you had a great time visiting Applewood Farms.

Beautiful trees on top!

Always great to read a little more about your family and your wonderful dad. I'm sure you miss him. I sure miss mine.. (and my mom too)...

Mary said...

BJ, I do understand your melancholy mood but the Autumn colors surely help, don't they? Like you, sleeping with the windows cracked open and blankets are a great change from the long days of summer.

Our trees are starting to turn color - dogwoods and maples first. The oaks have a tad of color but we still hear crickets. It's raining now - very good.

Have fun with your grandchildren and know that your hubby, Mom and Dad are watching you with huge smiles...

Love that Chipmuch owning the apples :o)

Mary

Mary said...

Meant "chipmunk"...