Thursday, August 07, 2008

Whee!


100_0531, originally uploaded by Mamaquita.


These pictures of the kids on the rides bring back many memories of when I was a child, and my parents taking us on the boardwalk to ride the carousel. I remember stepping on the carousel after it came to a stop and running to find the perfect horse. One that was colorful and went up and down while sitting on it. As the carousel turned, I always had my mom in my sight as it made a complete circle, going past her once again.

Well, those same rides are still on the boardwalk. The carousel is still running and the little boats that you could sit in, each attached by a metal bar, circling in the water are also still there. There are bumper cars and a shooting gallery. And of course they've added more things and updated the place too. But it is still called Trimper Rides.

I know that a few of my readers are from Maryland and would be familiar with those rides and the boardwalk in Ocean City. And if you are, you will surely remember the Thrasher's French Fries and Fisher's Caramel Popcorn. Those are two of the most important things to eat when visiting there. Everyone in my family still makes at least one trip back to the "ocean" every summer. And we say, "we're going to the oshun hun". It's a Baltimore twang! But if you live here, you know how to speak it!

4 comments:

Brenda said...

BJ,
The area you live in sounds so special. That is another thing I like about blogging is finding out what it is like where others live. I am trying to "hear" the Baltimore accent, but I don't think I have ever known anyone from Maryland so I don't know what it might sound like. I have known a couple of people from New Jersey...is it similar to that? Have a great day!
Blessings,
Brenda

Sandy said...

I've never been there but I sure would love to visit that area some day. Love the photo, so cute.

Yeah, do you have an accent?

Marsha said...

What a fun time the girls look like they are having! I enjoyed hearing your memories of going yourself as a girl too :-) Didn't we all rush for the prettiest horse?

BJ said...

Brenda - I grew up on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and there's all kinds of accents there(he-he). My husband grew up in the city of Baltimore....he could do the "I'm goin to the oshun hun" well. And no, New Jersey people....well they have their own thang goin on there.

Sandy - Maryland is a pretty unique place to live. So close to the mountains and oceans....can be at either in a few hours. Have you ever heard of the Chesapeake Bay? And how about those Maryland crabs? I'll have to do a post about that. And no, I really don't have the Baltimore accent.....I don't know what I have anymore....

Marsha - the girls really love the beach. In fact, H is back there now with her daddies family. And I do love to reminise about childhood memories. They are the best, ugh?