Tuesday, March 04, 2008

WHAT'S UP DOC?



Here are two of the cutest little bunnies......all decked out with their cute noses and buck teeth! Just an early picture of H & G, who got an early start on some Easter candy! Well, I guess it isn't that early. Easter is about two weeks away.

I have no Easter plans set in stone right now. But, I know that I will be expected to cook for my wonderful, amazing family. Afterall, isn't that what a mother and grandmother is supposed to do? Honestly, I don't even mind because it allows us all to be together as a family. But if any of them would like to "bring a dish", I will gladly accept any offers. So kids, if you are reading this, your offers would be greatly appreciated. And Kelli........you are exempt from bringing any food this year. You are always so willing to do your share to have us all together. But, you just bring yourself and that little angel that recently joined our family.

I'd love to hear what your Easter menu will be this year. Do any of you ever cook lamb for Easter dinner? I have never cooked lamb. I have always heard that is is very rich. If any of you have eaten lamb or have served it, I would love to hear about your experience with cooking it and what you served with it.

I remember when my children were young, I always went way out to make Easter a fun time for them. I would hang colorful plastic eggs on our red maple tree. Believe me, it took a heck of a lot of time burning tiny holes in one end of those plastic eggs so that I could make a hanger from thread and hang them. My husband would hide more of those eggs around the yard and either put money or candy inside. They all had Easter baskets full of toys and candy, specifically chocolate bunnies and jelly beans. Even as they became teenagers, they expected to still get their baskets each year. Finally when in their twenties, I had to STOP!!!!

That's not true! I'm just kidding about them being in their twenties. But they had to have been close to it. Darn kids! By the way, you know those little marshmallow peeps or bunnies? I insisted on putting those in their baskets.......they didn't eat them. They got hard as a rock. But you know, when I see those darn little things, I always want to buy them. I guess it's because when I was a kid, I always had those yellow peeps in my basket and spicy jelly beans. It just brings back a lot of those warm, fuzzy moments for me.

And so, I will leave you with this song that I am sure you will not be able to get out of your head for the rest of the day! I loved this song as a kid and I love it now. And you can bet that I'll be singing it to four adorable bunnies in my life!

"Peter Cottontail"

Here comes Peter Cottontail,
Hoppin' down the bunny trail,
Hippity, hoppity,
Easter's on its way.

Bringin' every girl and boy Baskets full of Easter joy,
Things to make your Easter bright and gay.
He's got jelly beans for Tommy,
Colored eggs for sister Sue,
There's an orchid for your Mommy
And an Easter bonnet, too.

Oh! here comes Peter Cottontail,
Hoppin' down the bunny trail,
Hippity hoppity,
Happy Easter day.

Here comes Peter Cottontail,
Hoppin' down the bunny trail,
Look at him stop,
and listen to him say:
"Try to do the things you should."
Maybe if you're extra good,
He'll roll lots of Easter eggs your way.

You'll wake up on Easter morning
And you'll know that he was there
When you find those choc'late bunnies
That he's hiding ev'rywhere.

Oh! here comes Peter Cottontail,
Hoppin' down the bunny trail,
Hippity hoppity,
Happy Easter day.


Written by Steve Nelson and Jack Rollins

5 comments:

The Crusty Crone said...

"...they expected to still get their baskets each year. Finally when in their twenties, I had to STOP!!!!"

hahahaha Ya got me. I was scratching my head wondering what the heck....

Cute adorable bunnies ya got there.

cat's momma said...

Lamb? Never tried it. Easter dinner? Haven't had one for years.
We used to get together with Sandy and her family for easter egg hunts for the kids...we could have an easter dinner back in those days, probably ham or we'd make tacos or something...not traditional really, not after mom passed. Also, easter egg hunts caused a lot of fussing and crying by a kid or two who didn't find as many eggs as someone else...
Your bunnies are really cute in that picture.

Sandy said...

Cute photo of the girls.
Kids are older and with the grandkids, ...well that's for their parents to figure out.haha. So no..I won't be doing much.

sandy

Wanda said...

Oh I love the Easter season ~~ What darling girls deck out with easter noses and teeth!!

I love Peter Rabbit --If you have never seen the movie "Miss Potter" you must. It's the story of Beatrix Potter who wrote all the stories!! It a good movie for all.

Travelling Goddess said...

Yup...here I am, I have indeed cooked lamb for Easter and have always considered lamb for Easter....and in France, the lamb is still going Baaaaa Baaaaaa as it comes out of the oven, as it is eaten very rare there.

Lamb is still one of my favorite meats....but, a boneless roast can set you way back, cause it is soooooo expensive. I did cook a small one last year along with a ham....could not afford a large roast and had toooo many folks to feed.

The pictures of the baby and his bath are sooooo sweet. What a big little belly...it made me smile.