Wednesday, April 25, 2007

DID YOU SAY 40TH HIGH SCHOOL REUNION?



This is my graduation picture from 1968. The quality of the picture isn't very good. But, I decided to post it anyway. I just learned this past weekend that my 40th high school reunion is in the planning stage. Yep. You heard right. My 40th reunion! I can't believe it myself. Apparently it takes over one year to plan this event. I received an e-mail today from one of the coordinators, asking for more information. You know, where you live, your phone number, etc. I haven't responded yet but I'm pretty sure that I will go. I visited a friend from high school last weekend and we talked about going. According to her, our high school rival will also be celebrating their 40th reunion too. I guess the two committees decided that we should celebrate together. Many of the graduates from my school are married to our rival school mates, and vice versa. It doesn't really matter to me. I don't have an opinion one way or the other.

I have gone to two reunions. The first was my 20th one. My husband went with me and I had such a great time. I remember feeling good about myself because I had maintained my weight pretty well and was nice and slim. It was so much fun seeing so many of the people that I graduated with. Some of them had been good friends. Friends that you lose contact with once you move away. I believe the second one was my 32nd one. My friend and I went, no husbands that time. I went reluctently. I had gained weight and didn't feel as good about myself. But, I got to see a lot of people. Some of the guys that had been "drop dead gorgeous", had become bald, very gray or even overweight too. I remember one in particular. Freddy Spurlock! My gosh. He looked as good if not better. Still "drop dead gorgeous". The girls either looked really good or looked much older to me. Some were heavier, like me. But, some had managed their weight well. I'm sure they said the same kinds of things that I thought. I always look at people I know and think this or that about them. I feel terrible that I do that. I'd love to know what people say about me. "Oh, Brenda has gained so much weight. She has such a pretty face. If only she'd lose about 100 pounds". Okay then. I'm just gonna stop about all this weight stuff!

Unfortunately, I did not go on to college. I got married and had two beautiful little boys. They came 27 months apart and brought so much joy to me. The marriage failed. We were both young and had been in love. But, it was difficult and we grew apart. He was a very good dad to his sons. And we have remained somewhat friendly over all of these years.

Shortly after my marriage dissolved, I met a very handsome and wonderful man. I fell madly in love with him and I married him and we had a baby girl and together with my two little boys, we made a wonderful family.

They are all grown-up now. One son is still single and keeps his momma company. My husband passed away four years ago next month. The other two are married and have brought three grandchildren into my life. And you know how much I adore them. Just go here to check out their pictures. And come back often to see how they are growing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi BJ, sure enjoyed the update and reading about your thoughts about your upcoming reunion. I think we all in some way share those same thoughts...I haven't been to a single one of mine and they were probably held only 20 minutes from where I live.

That must have been so hard losing your husband. Ouch. I sure don't want to face that "passage" in life.

I noticed you have three kids and three grandkids..I have four kids and four grandkids. Each one has given me one, well that fourth one isn't quite here yet.

I have enjoyed your blog and actually check in every day for updates.

sandy

p.s.. Looks like we are two months apart in age basically. I am the same age as you but born in December, graduated in 1968.

Marsha said...

Oh how fun to experience another reunion - I have gone to all of mine but then we were a class of 27 (small town MN) - I found that the first 5 & 10 years people still kind of stayed in the high school cliques but the rest have been great social & "catch up" nights. I know about the "weight" issues having fought that battle my entire adult life but no one stays the same as they were at 18 which is a "good" thing.
Loved the photos of your beautiful grandchildren!

dakotablueeyes said...

I never go to my reunions I went to school with snobbies lol

Barbara said...

What a beautiful picture!!! I think its wonderful that you have attended the reunions and still have some contacts from school..my best friend and I went to the same school, but she graduated a year after me so going to my 10 year reunion next year won't be any fun without her!! I love the story about your life too, very touching!

Wanda said...

BJ: I was absolutely sure, I posted a comment on your reunion....but when I read you comments...it's not there. So, I'll try again...

Love your highschool picture. You were darling. And you are a very lovely lady in all your wonderful pictures of your family you post.


Also, you are such a dear and faithful commenter on my blog...You words always encourage me and bring a smile.

Know you will be the knock out at your reunion....Have fun.

Amber said...

How in the heck did they find you guys after 40 years?? That would really be a job, to track down people, I would think.

You look very cute! I wouldn't worry about weight, just have fun. Just think how everyone probably feels the same, and they are all worried about their own butts, not yours. lol!

I went to my 10th, and it was horrible and lame because of the girl who planned it. Not too much fun. So I skipped the 15th because the same girl did it again. At 20, I may jump the gun and do it myself, before she can take over.

:)