Saturday, July 22, 2006

HELP! I WANNA WORK FROM HOME!

I have been toying with the idea that I would like to work part-time from my home using my computer. Being a widow I am feeling the crunch of escalating prices of everything. I could work at my leisure and put in as many hours as I wanted or whatever was determined on a weekly basis.

I have gone online, but am so leary of "work from home" ads and no way to phone anyone or whether they are even legitimate. And honestly, I don't want to get caught up in some sort of scam.

Could any of you direct me or to you have first hand knowledge of where I might start to inquire about something like this? I started out as a keypunch operator in 1968 after high school. Things have definitely changed since then. I have many years of clerical experience, receptionist, scheduling appointments and even billing experience as I worked for a pediatrician for 12 years. Currently I work for the state government and have been there for 12 years too. My classification is Office Service Clerk which means absolutely nothing to me. It is just a classification. I know MS Word, a little Excel as I had a wee bit of training on it. Our department has its own networking so the programs are different rather than normal.

If anyone has any suggestions as to where to start, I would appreciate them. I've checked newspaper ads and find them frustrating. I think that I would be beneficial to a company who needs a service like that. I have never taken dictation, but feel that I am pretty good at composing letters. I would not be interested in telephoning individuals. I prefer to use only the computer.

Helpful hints? Please respond. Thanks much.

4 comments:

Julie said...

If you are proficiant in Word you can easily get a job transcribing medical documents. Many Doctors today use dictaphones and pay someone to transcribe them. Contact youer local medical community for more info. It is agreat job and can be done at home, yes at your lesuire but with a deadline of course. (many lawyers are doing the same)

BJ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amber said...

I was going to say you shoul dlook at medical transcribing. I know someone who dose this. But she earned a certificate in it. I don't know if that is something you have to have, or not...

My aunt makes very good money selling vitamins. She has been involved in teh company for many years. She always wants me to do it, too. But i just don't feel like I want to sell stuff, even if it is good money. But if you want to look into it, I can hook you up. Let me know.

Good luck!
:)

BJ said...

Amber - That's what I really want to do; medical transcribing. I think you are right about getting certified. At least that is what I understand. I am checking into it further.
There are a lot of non-credit courses that are out there that I might like to take. Thinking seriously of that. Starting a business from the internet is certainly an option. I would need to learn a lot about that one.
Thanks for your comment. Your blog is great! Love your writings.